We take the Safeguarding of all our patients very seriously. This is especially important when working with children and vulnerable people.
On a recent Care Quality Commission (CQC) visit our safeguarding policies and procedures were said to be 'outstanding' and our management of safeguarding concerns were 'excellent'.
All young people accessing our sexual health services will be assessed for their competency using Fraser Guidelines and via our in-house assessment proforma. This is to ensure that they are safe, that they are able to understand the information given and to ensure that their relationships are healthy. If there is any question or doubt about any of these areas, we work closely with our safeguarding leads and utilise the Devon Multi-Agency Safeguarding Hub (MASH) referral system when necessary.
Furthermore, the Board of Northern Devon Healthcare Trust is assured that the following requirements are in place in line with the recommendations of the Care Quality Commission to ensure that systems and processes are in place to safeguard children and young people:
- NDHT meets all statutory requirements in relation to Criminal Records Bureau checks;
- NDHT has a child protection policy in place that meets with the requirements of Working Together to Safeguard Children;
- NDHT has a process in place that meets with the standards agreed by the South West Strategic Health Authority to ensure all children who miss an outpatient appointment for whom there are safeguarding concerns are flagged with the safeguarding team;
- 85% of all eligible staff within NDHT have undertaken level 1 child protection training;
- NDHT has undertaken an audit of safeguarding training needs and outcome and all recommendations are being delivered;
- NDHT has lead safeguarding professionals in place to full fill the requirements as detailed in Working Together to Safeguard Children (Dr S Richardson- Named Doctor, Kristine Brayford-West – Named Nurse and Theresa Chapman – Named Midwife).
- The Board level Executive Lead with the responsibility for safeguarding in NDHT is Kevin Marsh, Director of Nursing.
- The Board of NDHT has reviewed these 2009 recommendations and received assurance that NDHT is compliant. All recommendations from this review are monitored by the Trust’s Joint Safeguarding Children’s Board which is monitored via the Trust Clinical Governance Committee.